Effective Ways of Using Oral and Nasal Anti-Histamines for Allergic Asthma
Allergic asthma can take your life instantly. If the nature of your asthma attack is aggravated by allergy then the best way to manage the problem is through immediate intake of anti-histamines.
This drug counteracts the abnormal responses of the immune system against allergens. Allergens that penetrate in the body can stimulate the immune system to release a specific immunoglobulin (IgE – Immunoglobulin E).
This substance contributes in the secretion of histamine. The histamine travels in the blood stream and it binds with the histamine receptors. As a result, the body reacts to the allergen and may exhibit allergic reactions.
There are numerous histamine receptors in the respiratory tract. Any alteration to receptors in the respiratory tract can cause sneezing, coughing, and difficulty of breathing. All of these signs and symptoms are manifestations of allergic asthma.
The action of anti-histamine is to block the receptors from binding with histamines. Thus, it prevents the occurrence of allergic reactions that can trigger bronchial asthma. However, the issue with using of anti-histamines does not involve with its appropriate effects to the body.
It focuses on circumstances that may affect the potency of the drug. So, if you are using this drug then it is recommended that you should practice these measures to hasten the effect of anti-histamines.
Step-by-Step Process on How to Use Anti-Histamine Effectively
Following this procedure will ensure you with full potency of anti-histamine. It can benefit you from treating allergic asthma. These measures include:
- Checking the manufacturing and expiration dates of the drug. Expired anti-histamines are ineffective and sometimes can worsen your condition. These dates are usually found at the back or bottom part of the drug label.
- Children who are prescribed to use this medication should ask for proper dosage. Usually, the allergist will weigh the child and give a prescribed amount of dose. This will prevent overdose that can worsen the problem. Over-the-counter anti-histamines have its drug leaflets, which indicate the dosage specifications per age and weight of the user. It is suggested to discuss the proper doses with your physician or pharmacist to prevent health problems.
- Always check the contraindications. These are facts that include diseases and medications that are not indicated for using anti-histamines. Medications such as MAO inhibitors, muscle relaxants, sedatives, and sleeping pills are considered anti-histamines. If you are taking one of these drugs then you should avoid using anti-histamines. It doubles the effect of the drug, which may lead to overdose.
- Tell your doctor about your current health condition. If you have any underlying problems aside from allergic asthma, it is suggested that you should let your doctor know about it. Cases such as thyroid problems, kidney or heart diseases, glaucoma, and pregnancy are situations that may require special precautionary measures when using anti-histamines.
- Observe your condition within 1 week. After using the medication for 1 week and your problem still persist then you should consult your doctor to change the medication. There are people, who have strong resistance against anti-histamines and this may require other medical options as treatment.
Antihistamines side effects:
Be informed that anti-histamines are drug that controls the occurrence of allergic reactions. However, it is not an ultimate solution that can treat allergic asthma. Preventive measure such as avoidance of triggering factors (allergen) is still the safest and most effective way to relieve asthma–By Edterchelle Soriano
In our next article we shall discuss about – “A Closer Look At Bronchodilators And What are the Three Basic Types of Bronchodilators?”