Can Mold Worsen Your Asthma
This article is the final continuation follow-up of the series of articles on Avoiding Your Asthma Triggers.
Mold is a microscopic (so small as to be visible only with a microscope) fungi that grow or develop well in a damp dark environment and can worsen your asthma. Mold can grow on any surface (e.g. food, indoor plants, walls, floors or fabric) given the these right conditions:-
- High humidity
- Some form of nutrient
Mold is a also one of the commonest indoor asthma trigger and reducing mold exposure may improve your asthma tremendously.
Many factors may cause you to suspect mold in your home:-
- Visible mold growing – white, orange, green or black growth in a moist(slightly wet) area
- You smell a musty, mold odor
- Discoloration in a wall, ceiling or other part of your home in a water leakage area .
Identifying and Controling Household Mold
Preventing Mold Growth in your Home
Decreasing your mold exposure will require both the removal of mold and moisture control together effectively. There are several things you can do to prevent mold growth in your home:-
- Wash, disinfect, and then dry all surfaces
- Repair any leaks and dry moisture that results from leaks
- Ventilate, preferably to the outside of your home, the source of any moisture such as clothes dryers, stoves and other appliances
- Keep relative humidity* less than 50% – this may require air conditioning or a dehumidifier
- Keep drip pans from appliances such as refrigerators and air conditioners clean and dry
How To Get Rid Of Mold Growth in Your Home?
- Find out where the moisture is coming from and fix that problem first
- Wash mold off the affected areas with detergent and water, clean the area, and then let dry completely
- Any materials that hold moisture may need to be replaced
- Make sure any areas you are working in are well ventilated or you may increase your acute exposure to molds
Reduction in mold exposure is associated with significant improvements in asthma symptoms among asthmatics sensitive to molds.Prevention Is Better Then Asthma Treatment.
In our next article we shall discuss about – Can Your Immune System Worsen Your Asthma.